Day 12: Evaluating Sources + Discussion of Articles 



Warmup: Practice Paraphrase 3:30-3:45 (15min)

We will begin today with some practice on paraphrasing... 


Lecture 3:45-4:15 (30min)

Next, please open the presentation for today, and follow along if you like.
After the presentation, I would like you to visit this Web site, and evaluate this source. With a partner or on your own, consider whether this source is reliable. Would you use this in a paper?  What is this report missing?  What makes this article sound authentic? We will reconvene in 5 minutes. Be prepared to share your reactions with the class. *****

Discussion:  How is this topic related to our upcoming assignment? 

Fast-Mapping Reading Activity 4:15-4:35 (20min)

In this section of class, I will be putting you into small groups and giving you time to evaluate the first text that we will be summarizing for the Summary Critique Assignment. Click here to access the handout you will be using. Time permitting, you will then be placed into new groups to exchange/compare ideas. Teacher notes on the activity are posted here.

******

After this activity, we will take a few minutes to go over the Upcoming Summary Critique Assignment Deadlines and details.  

 

Informal Early Feedback 4:35-4;50 (15min)

As we are approaching mid-terms, I would like to collect some early, informal feedback on the course from the class. Your responses will not be graded; I am interested in getting a sense of what areas of the class you find helpful and what areas you think could be improved, and specifically how. Please go to the survey here. I will give you about 10 minutes to complete the survey. Thank you, in advance, for participating. I will update the class on the results/what changes are to be made in our next class. *****

 

Homework: 

On Tuesday, you will need to upload your completed one paragraph summaries of BOTH Article #1 and Article #2 (found under course documents) to dropbox. Please upload them in the same word document to the subfolder titled Unit 2, titled, NAME Short Summary 1&2

No comments:

Post a Comment