Day 14: Critique Peer Review+ Critique Workshop
Part I: Review Neutral Reporting Verbs (20 min)
After reading your paragraph summaries, I would like to take a minute to discuss the importance of using Reporting verbs when discussing other people's work. Please click here to see a sample extract that reviews some reporting verbs.
In groups, discuss the following questions:
1) Can you think of some common evaluative adjectives (both good and bad) for your field?
2) How might the evaluative language vary between your fields or between the this critique paper and your own papers?
Now, let's take a look another look to some common evaluate language structures. Click here to access a worksheet that you will complete in groups. Although I do not have much time today to cover more content on evaluative language, I would like to give you a nice resource that you can read on your own. These pages deal with modality and how to soften or strengthen your tone in critique language (Swales, J.M., Feak, C.B., 2005, p 125-130).
Part II: Assistance with Critiquing [3:50-4:05 (15min)]
In this part of class, we will be working in groups to evaluate the Loxton article on various aspects. This activity will assist us in bettering our comprehension and understanding of both the article and methods by which to critique it.
What Can I Critique?
Organization Credibility Originality Argumentation Validity
1.
The Author
a.
Background (special
interest)
b.
Credibility
c.
2.
The publication
a.
Skeptic Magazine
b.
Credibility
c.
Purpose of the magazine
3.
Tone
a.
Fair/Bias
b.
Represents all the facts/Considers
all the research
c.
Credit given to sources
4.
Structure
a.
Organization of the paper
b.
Visuals
c.
Introduction/body/Conclusion
Part III: Peer Review of Drafts [4:05-4:35 (35min)]
In this part of class, I will put you into groups of two or three and have you exchange papers. Within those groups, you will read and provide feedback to one person's paper before moving on to the second and third person. You can access the Peer Review Sheets for this activity here.
Other suggestions for comments are as follows:
Other suggestions for comments are as follows:
Transition words
Subordination
(Non)Academic Vocabulary
Summary Reminder Phrases
Summary Reminder Phrases
*If your group finishes early ... you can work to make adjustments to your drafts according to the feedback until the 4:35.
Part IV: In Class Reflection #2 [4:40-4:50 (10min)]
For the last 15 minutes of class, I will give you time to write the 2nd Reflection assignment in class. I will be collecting them and grading them on the plane this weekend so please write them on the sheets I will provide. Thank you!
NOTE: On account of midterms, I am moving extending the deadline for this final paper to next Thursday, Oct 18. I wish everyone the best of luck in their midterm studies!
No comments:
Post a Comment