Objectives:
Students will be
able to:
- Evaluate the sources they are thinking of using for their upcoming research paper for content, relevance, and reliability
- Summarize the main points of the sources they are thinking of using for their upcoming research paper
- Analyze critically the previous works on their topic in an effort to establish their own research question and writing purpose
Part I: Review of APA [3:30-3:40 (10min)]
I would like us to spend the first small part of today's class reviewing APA reference citations. Please note that I have posted examples of APA student references under "additional course documents." Let us go there now and analyze the structures.
Part II: Annotated Bibliographies Assignment [3:40-3:45 (5min)]
To clarify what we need to do in order to complete this assignment, please click on the link under major assignments titled, "(11/6) Annotated Bibliography." I will go over the directions with you as a class. If you have questions, please ask.
Part III: Annotated Bibliography Analysis [3:45-4:10 (25min)]
To pick up where we left off yesterday, I would like students to get out the handout that was distributed in Tuesday's class (ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY HANDOUT). Work in pairs to be critical, specifically in the explanation of relevancy and analysis of reliability sections. Also, identify any missing components, and consider how each entry could be improved. After your charts have been filled out, we will go over it together as a class.
Part VI: Annotated Bibliographies Workshop [4:10-4:50 (40min)]
In this last part of today' class, I would like to give students time to start working on their annotations. I will be circulating throughout the room to provide assistance if needed. I will also be assisting students who are still struggling with a thesis.
Mini Activity: Thesis Statement Assistance
Part V: LIBRARY DAY on Tuesday
Our next class, Tuesday Oct 30th, will be held in the Undergraduate Library, Room 291. Class will begin at the same time, 3:30, but may end earlier. Please go directly to the Undergraduate Library and not to FLB. It is very important that you are not late to this session. If you are unfamiliar with the location, please refer to the following link:. http://illinois.edu/map/view?buildingId=377&ACTION=MAP
Homework/Announcements:
- There is no official homework for Tuesday. However, of you have not been approved for your research topic, this needs to be done ASAP.
- Keep watching your dropbox for your final summary critique grades. I should have them all graded and uploaded before the next class. Please note that there is an optional rewrite for students. Rewrites can improve the score up to a maximum of 10%. Please email me if you are interested in rewriting.
No comments:
Post a Comment