Day 27: Abstract Writing

Learning Objectives:

  •     Review purpose/methods of different in-text citations structures
  •     Review/Practice the creating of APA headings/Subheadings 
  •     understand the purpose of an abstract in a RP.
  •     get familiar with the major types of abstracts.
  •     analyze the use of grammatical tenses in abstracts.
(please note that I have added materials on tables and charts under additional materials)


Part I: Review of In-Text Citations/Headers [3:30-3:55 (25min)]

To begin today's lesson, we will be discussing the movement of in-text citations and how that affects flow and meaning. Please click here to access this activity.

Example Citation Placement:

  • Research is being done on the use of seaweeds for biofuels (Smith, 2012; Jones, 2011, Beck; 2011). 

  • In recent studies, bio-crop researchers (Smith, 2012; Jones, 2011, Beck; 2011) have started investigating the various species of seaweed for their suitability for biofuels.

  •  Beck (2011) proposed Chlorella, a common type of seaweed, to be potentially the best candidate for large scale testing given its genetic makeup.

Part II: Lecture on Abstracts  [3:55-4:15 (20 min)]
Abstracts are an important part to research writing. Arguably, they are more important to the reader than for the writer as they are used a means to determine in a source is relevant to our needs. Please click HERE to access the PowerPoint for today's lecture. We will be discussing the two main types of abstract structures:
       1) The Results-Driven Abstract
2) The Summary Abstract 

Sample Abstracts across disciplines

Part III: Sample Abstracts + Practice [4:15-4: 40  (25min)]
In this part of today's lecture, we will be looking example abstracts that follow the two basic formats: Results-Driven and Summary. Click HERE to access those sample abstract types. After this analysis, I will ask you to practice composing an abstract for your own research paper. I will circulate the room to provide assistance.



Part IV: ICES [4:40-4:50 (10min)]

For the last part of today's class, I will be asking you to fill out the ICES form. I will also need to have a volunteer deposit the evaluations in a mailbox after students have completed. In keeping in line with university policy, I will be leaving class to allow you to complete them on your own.


Part V: Reflective #3 (Moved to next Tuesday)
 

No Class this Thursday, check schedule for conferences

No comments:

Post a Comment